| Spoiler warning!|
This Wiki contains detailed information regarding the Girls und Panzer universe.
Proceed with Caution!
- "Ooarai Type 3, Immobilized!"
- ―Ami Chouno
The Type 3 Chi-Nu (In Kanji, 三式中戦車 チヌ, "San-Shiki Chū-Sensha Chi-Nu") was a Japanese medium tank, built as a stopgap solution to match the American M4 Sherman medium tank during the planned Invasion of Japan. It never saw actual combat. It first appeared in the anime in Episode 10.
HistoryIn 1943, the Chi-Nu was developed to replace the current medium tank, the Type 1 Chi-He, as the latter was decidedly inferior against contemporary Allied tanks, and to temporary fill the tank division of the Type 4 Chi-To, which was in development and would be ready only on the last stage of the WWII, thus requiring a stopgap tank to counter tanks such as the M4 Sherman.
The Chi-Nu used the chassis and the suspension of the Type 1 Chi-He with a larger turret mounting the 75 mm Type 3 Gun (a modification of the Type 90 75 mm Field Gun) which had a penetration of 65mm at 1,000m, which meant that it had an exposed recoil brake and lacked automatic shell ejection, making it a rather inconvenient gun. However, the low priority of the tank production, and the lack of raw materials postponed its production until 1944, when most of the Japanese factory had been damaged by the American strategic bombing. As a result, only 144 Chi-Nus were built.
Instead of being deployed overseas as older tanks were, the Chi-Nus were redeployed in the Home Islands to meet the expected Allied Invasion of Japan. But because Japan surrendered before the invasion was executed, the Chi-Nu never saw combat action, and thus its actual combat effectiveness is still open for debate.
In Girls Und Panzer
Ooarai Girls Academy has a Type 3 Chi-Nu, found in a parking lot by Anteater Team, and the last tank added to tank formation before the finals against Kuromorimine Girls Academy. It was being overlooked earlier by Rabbit Team because they thought it was not functional. The Chi-Nu was assigned to the person who found it, Nekota, and her online gaming friends, who become known as the Anteater Team. The short time before the final match however meant that their acclimatization to the tank was minimal at best.
The Chi-Nu's performance in the match was uninspiring. As soon as the match was started, the Ooarai team pushed forward and were ambushed by Kuromorimine's tanks, which had stolen a march on them, and attacked from the forest. Under fire, the inexperienced Anteater Team started to mishandle the tank, as Momoga was struggle to shift the gears. A slip-up meant that the Chi-Nu ended up reversing at full speed. Meanwhile, Kuromorminine's Tiger II, commanded by their vice commander Erika, tried to win the match quickly by aiming at Ooarai's Panzer IV flag tank (Anglerfish team). Luckily, the shot fired from the Tiger II hit the reversing Chi-Nu instead, and saved Ooarai's Force from instant defeat.
- Weight : 19 tons
- Length : 5.64 m
- Width : 2.41 m
- Height : 2.68 m
- Main armament : 1 x 75 mm Type 3 Gun
- Secondary armament :1 x 7.7 mm Type 97 Machine Gun
- Hull Armor / Turret Armor :
- Front : 50 mm / 50 mm
- Sides : 25 mm / 35 mm
- Rear : 20 mm / 25 mm
- Engine : Mitsubishi Type 100 Kakyuu V-12 (240 hp)
- Speed : 39 km/h
- Standard Crew: 5
- In the match against Kuromorimine the Chi-Nu is immobilized before firing even a single shell, which is a nod to the fact that this tank was only stationed in Japan in preparation for a possible invasion of the homeland and thus never saw combat.
- Compared to the other tanks found by Ooarai girls, Chi-Nu was found in a relatively pristine condition.
- In World of Tanks, it is possible for the Chi-Nu to equip with the longer barreled 75 mm Type 5 gun, also the gun for the subsequent Type 4 Chi-To and Type 5 Chi-Ri, but like the Tiger I with the 88 mm L/71 gun, it will affect the vehicle despite the firepower improvement.
- It's late entry into Ooarai service also reflects to its late-war deployment for the defense of Japan that wasn't saw combat service there.
- Main article: Type 3 Chi-Nu/Gallery
- Type 3 Chi-Nu (Wikipedia)
- Type 3 Chi-Nu Specifications (WWIIVehicles)
- Type 3 Chi-Nu Official Anime Web (GirlsUndPanzer)
- ↑ Yukari Akiyama's Tank Corner Episode 5 - Type 3 Chi-Nu
|Light Tanks and Tankettes||7TP • AMR-35 • BT-42 • Crusader • CV.33 • FT-17 • Harry Hopkins • M22 Locust • M24 Chaffee • Mark VI • Panzer II • Panzer 38(t) • R35 • T-60 • T-70 • Tetrarch • TK Tankette • Type 94 Tankette • Type 95 Ha-Go • Type 97 Te-Ke|
|Medium Tanks||Centurion • M3 Lee • M4 Sherman • M13/40 • Matilda II • P26/40 • Panzer III • Panzer IV • Panzer V "Panther" • SOMUA S35 • T-34 • T-44 • Type 89B • Type 3 Chi-Nu • Type 97 Chi-Ha|
|Heavy Tanks||ARL 44 • B1 Bis • Black Prince • Churchill • IS-2 • KV-2 • M26 Pershing • Mark IV • Panzer VI "Tiger" • Panzer VI Ausf. B "Tiger II" • Panzer VIII "Maus" • VK45.01 Porsche Tiger|
|Tank Destroyers||Elefant • Hetzer • ISU-152 • Jagdpanzer IV • Jagdpanther • Jagdtiger • Mareșal • Semovente da 75/18 • StuG III • T28 Super-Heavy Tank|
|Self-Propelled Artillery||Karl-Gerät 040|
|Main Battle Tank||Type 10|